Friday, February 5, 2010

Images of the past...

Once again my busy life has interfered with my quest to document the world around me. Tonight, during a rare evening in, I watched a biography on two photographers that changed the way people experience the cities they lived in: Eugène Atget and Berenice Abbott. Atget documented early 20th Century Paris and as an "author-producer" developed a new style of photography and influencing other photographers of the time. Abbott, the former assistant of Man Ray, became fast friends with Atget near the end of his career and later compiled an amazing portfolio of her own, photographing the changing cityscape of New York in the 20's and 30's.

I love both cities and was swept up in the romance and beauty captured by both photographers. A few of my favorites...

Eugène Atget ~ Paris






Berenice Abbott ~ New York City





No comments:

Post a Comment